Business Training, Classes, and Seminars
I have developed and presented training modules and seminars, with accompanying handout materials and manuals, throughout my career. Many were animated PowerPoint presentations with links to websites for additional resource information. I codified others into auditable documentation.
The first three samples (below) are training and seminars done for Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA). I also have created and presented training materials for private companies, non-profits, higher education, and for my My Persuasive Presentations, LLC classes. I currently teach a series on Basic Business and Computing Skills for beginners who may be afraid of computers or simply are unaware of how to use them for social media or basic documents. I’ve also created numerous classes on personal and spiritual growth topics + meditation.
Examples of Training and Seminars.
- Emergency operations policies, procedures, and mitigation in accordance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- How To Start A Business (and related topics, with extensive notes in English and Spanish).
- Scripts about AIDS and homelessness (performed for my non-profit, Variety Pack)
- Automated procurement systems – Commonwealth of VA (eVA)
- Auditable financial processes. Audits were done by multiple state and other agencies/departments, including JLARC (Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission). We had to meet all Agency Risk Management and Internal Control Standards (ARMICS).These manuals document every step in the processes used by departments I directed. They were related primarily to my accountability responsibility for processing:
- $89M of credit card plus additional cash payments each year for tuition and fees
- $375K in annual receipts for parking permits/fines
- Comprehensive Human Resources policies and procedures manual. I actually created and instituted the entire department for an audio/visual services company in New York City.
- Gardening – “Never Lose Another Plant” video for garden center owners.
- Overviews of complementary and alternative medicine modalities.
- Overviews and individual affirmations, visualization, and meditation.
Details about these training and seminar presentations are below.
SAMPLES OF WRITING, EDITING, TRAINING, AND PRESENTATION ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Unfortunately, I lost these PowerPoint presentations during computer crashes, so I cannot show them to you. They involved copywriting, incorporation of video clips, and using animated PowerPoint techniques. I conducted the classes. In lieu of links to the presentations, the following is a description of them.
Emergency Management Training
As the person responsible for development and execution of all Manassas campus emergency procedures (as well as for the police department), I trained faculty and staff on emergency management procedures.
The training consisted of PowerPoint presentations, flyers, brochures, wallet-size quick reference cards, and Word document handouts, requiring consistency throughout.
This included very complex organization charts and pert charts, depicting the National Incident Management System (NIMS) procedures mandated for all federal, state, county, local and tribal officials to follow.
I also authored the College’s first manual on police and emergency operations (SOP). The state emergency management official and local first responding agencies reviewed my plan. At their recommendation, it subsequently became a model for use in other state agencies.
Training in Procurement of Goods and Services via Mandated eVA System
eVA is a very cumbersome, user-unfriendly, but Governor-mandated system for procurement of goods and services for all Commonwealth of Virginia agencies. All vendors, who contract with the Commonwealth, must use this system. All state employees, who want to procure goods or services, also must use it.
- I created and provided training about eVA policies and procedures to the entire Manassas campus (faculty, staff, and administrators).
- I developed this training “from scratch” under extremely tight deadlines. With no foreknowledge of the procedures, I had to learn the technical, policy, and procedural aspects of the system before I could create the teaching tools on how to use the system (from the perspectives of both the state agency employees and external vendors). Then, I had to teach the system to a variety of faculty and administrative staff.
- The Director of Procurement & Materiel Management commended me frequently and publicly for having the best presentation of all six Business Managers/campuses.
People Soft Financials Tutorial for Accepting Tuition Payments
Northern Virginia Community College has more than 75,000 students. I was responsible for directing the processing over $89M of credit card payments plus additional cash payments each year for tuition and fees. The step-by-step tutorial had to be flawless. It involved a narration about the navigation and inserting screenshots from the software system into Word and PowerPoint documents.
Documented All Office Policies and Procedures to Ensure Compliance
I also created a step-by-step tutorial for all processes and procedures (involving office procedures, not just software procedures). These procedures must be in compliance with laws, regulations, and policies. To ensure compliance, state officials and independent auditors audited annually.
Created On-line Orientation for Manassas Campus Employees
Scripts for Videos and Performing Arts
Prince William County Better Beginnings Coalition
(Interviews &Video for Cable Television)
The script was for a project which involved biographical interviews of three women (Caucasian, African-American, and Hispanic) who were leaders and pioneers in settling Prince William County and helping it grow into multiple, thriving communities.
The script also included narrations about the history of the County to tie the on-camera interviews together.
For this project, I received a Service Award in 2002 from the Prince William County Commission for Women.
Greater Prince William Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Coalition (video project)
- The script was about teen pregnancy prevention.
- It also provided a Prince William County counseling and medical resource directory
Domestic Violence Coalition (a one-act play)
- The script, entitled, “Break The Chain,” is about the cyclical behavior (of violence, apologies, and renewed power-plays resulting in violence) that is associated with domestic violence.
- The play used actors I trained. It was staged by Volunteers of America, in Woodbridge, VA.
INTERVIEWS AND SCRIPTS ABOUT
AIDS, HOMELESSNESS, HUNGER, ADDICTION, ABUSE
These monologues are based on my interviews with real people at the Community for Creative Non-Violence ( CCNV) shelter in Washington, D.C. and are grouped into a playbook, called, 3 Hots and a Cot.
The homeless people and I performed these scripts before educational, religious, and civic organizations, as well as for members of Congress and Governor Wilder’s Conference on Housing and Homelessness. The Congressional Record contains one script, and most of the scripts were made a part of the record at the National Archives. In addition, my troupe, Variety Pack, performed on Fairfax County cable television, which re-ran the program for several years.
I also customized the scripts into a one-act play, which was performed by the Fauquier County Community Theater, and which starred some of my homeless actors, as well as another actor portraying me.
For the performances, as well as the volunteer work, I won the following awards.
- Who’s Who in American Education, 1995
- International Woman of the Year Award, 1994
- Who’s Who of American Women Award, 1994, 1995
- Who’s Who of International Business & Professional Women – Hall of Fame Award, 1993, 1994
- Women Making A Difference Award (Channel 8 cable television) 1990
- The Governor’s Gold Medal Award, 1990
- The One and Only Channel Nine (WUSA-TV) Award, 1990
- The American Jefferson Award, 1990 (Part of the Points of Light initiative by President Bush.)
A summary may be found on my website: www.mypersuasivepresentations.com, and the playbook is available for purchase.
SPEECHES & PRESENTATIONS
Here is the Link to my web page about creating speeches for clients.
Please contact me to discuss customized training, tutorials, and seminars or to have me conduct presentations on existing topics. You also may engage me to review and/or edit your training materials. I look forward to hearing from you because I LOVE doing this! Thank you. MyPersuasivePresentations@gmail.com
Do It The Write Way! Let My Fingers Do Your Talking!